Sallie Marie Tompkins
'My Pencil' 12/8/08
My favorite pencil is a rubber number 2.
Packs at Officemax, Staples, and Walmart,
don't keep me blue.
It loves to draw what I love,
it grows art like a farmer does potato spuds.
It's constantly rubbed by affection,
writing down my life lessons.
It is solid on loose leaf paper with my confessions.
The pencil is my friend,
that births poetry into a reality,
it prevents fatalities, it saves nationalities.
My pencil is my friend that let hopes begin,
so I daily win, when I pick up my resourceful number 2,
that's my favorite pencil, now how about u?
Sallie Marie Tompkins 2008
Sallie Marie Tompkins's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ('My Pencil' 12/8/08 by Sallie Marie Tompkins )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Mistletoe, Walter de la Mare
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Boy Who Laughed At Santa Claus, Ogden Nash
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- People of Pernambuco 2, Kim Barney
- Strange Foods: Oatmeal Omelet, Kim Barney
- Not a Real Poem 2, Kim Barney
- A Christmas with Simplicity, Akhtar Jawad
- Mangos and Monkeys, Kim Barney
- Mack, Kim Barney
- Who Told You That?, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Two Friends, Kim Barney
- Happy Birthday, Jesus!, Mitta Xinindlu
- Paint my Souls, Jennifer Colyne Hall