Andon Zako Çajupi
The mountains rich in stone,
The meadows full of grass,
The fields replete with wheat,
Beyond them is a river.
Across from it the village
With church and rows of gravestones,
And standing all around it
Are humble, tiny houses.
Frigid is the water,
The wind blows, but no matter,
The nightingale proclaims it:
Gazelle-like are the women.
Lying in the shade, men
Playing, busy chatting,
Misfortune cannot strike them,
For they're living off their women.
Women in the fields, and
In the vineyards, women,
Women harvest hay, all
Day and night a-toiling.
Women do the threshing,
Reap the harvest, women,
Leaving before sunrise,
After dark returning!
For their husbands, women
Scorch out in the sunshine,
Working, never resting
Not even on a Sunday!
Poor Albanian woman,
All the time a-slaving,
And when homeward's wending,
Makes both lunch and supper.
What about your husband
Lounging by the fountain?
Oh, my wretched woman,
You run, too, the household!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My village by Andon Zako Çajupi )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Nilgiri Tahrs., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Wild boars., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Father Damiern, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Thunder In The Distance, Susan Lacovara
- Grant me Love! Demon., Leylek D. Sovura
- Test is on, Nassy Fesharaki
- Post Script, Susan Lacovara
- A Ball of Rugs, Hannington Mumo
- Behold, O God!, William Browne
- Breakfast, Near A Window, Susan Lacovara