My White Skirt
'Through our own recovered innocence we discern the innocence of our neighbors.'
-Henry David Thoreau
See this white skirt?
I won't worry
as long as this skirt
swishes at my smooth knees,
rippling and laughing,
like a bright and silent flirt.
You're going to cut your pinkie,
you're never alert.
I won't think of consequences, piling up,
dirtying me like mud caking.
Treat me like a princess,
or like a sheet set,
but my life is a big mess
and you don't have a big enough net
you won't leave me hanging, forsaken.
Your calloused fingers slide down the chords.
The guitar, then our lips, a final squeeze.
You sweat and quake;
I hold you at the end of an invisible sword.
But the room is rearranging,
but I'm not hoping.
not ready to be forsaken.
The next step means either hating you or faking.
That bleeding finger
spouts on my skirt. then skin
and it's dark red like sin!
I'm still shaking,
this was just a daydream I was remaking
and I'm shaken
unwilling to be swept off, to be taken.
It makes me shiver cold,
and I want to put up a hand,
end the nightmare,
or put you on ice, on hold,
instead of hearing an echo of a heart breaking...
Delilah Miller's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My White Skirt by Delilah Miller )
- Lema, Nassy Fesharaki
- Decaying Within, Angelica Stevenz
- WALAA, Wala' Qamhieh
- A Hardworking Wind, Terry Dawson
- Please Come, Michael McParland
- have been posess, ademola oluwabusayo
- Be patient, Nassy Fesharaki
- Genetic Predisposition Twords Violence, Is It Poetry
- The Mild Tiger and the Wild Men, rajendran muthiah
- The Sun, Tushar Ray
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Ardella, Langston Hughes
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns