When I tun twenty-three,
I journey East across de sea.
Pon an island, I mek mi home,
An, neva again, do I roam.
De people dere, dey look away,
But, I be strong an wanna stay.
Most de people, dey were white;
They did nah understand mi plight.
De skies bak home, dey often blue;
De sea, it have a turquoise hue.
Back home, I live by de beach:
In England, it far outta reach.
De sun in England hardly shine:
For de sun, mi heart still pine.
De skies in England often grey:
De rain fall down most de day.
De English need to guh wid de flow,
An let dere inna feelings show.
De English don lacka shakin dere hip:
Dey guh all posh an stiff uppa lip.
Wi sing, wi dance, wi ave a ball:
Wi ave ourselves a carnival!
I use to de ol’ reggae beat:
Ers soon ers it start, wi up on our feet.
De birds in England, all brown an black:
Of bright rainbow colours, dere major lack.
In Jamaica, dere diff’rent creatures;
Pon de landscape, diff’rent features.
I use to jerk chicken served wid rice,
An pinda cake – mmm, taste so nice!
I use to eating fresh fruit all de time:
Pineapple, mango, banana an lime.
I use to food all spicy an rich:
I find it hard to mek de switch.
Of flavours bak home, dere a riot:
De new flavours seemed suh tame an quiet.
De diff’rent sounds an diff’rent sights,
Dey often gimmi awful fright.
Sometime I feel extremely glum:
Dere were times I want mi mum.
I been here now fah thirty year,
But, for Jamaica, I still shed er tear.
I got mi job, I got mi friends,
Suh I feel pretty happy in de end.
Angela Wybrow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (New Home by Angela Wybrow )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(22 March 1941 -)
(10 February 1970-)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- Main To Jhonka Hu Hava Ka Ura Le Jaunga, Kumar Vishwas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- समर्पित, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- On the run, Leong Ming Loong
- अभी और यहीं, Dr. Ravipal Bharshankar
- My Love, How Are You? Are You Happy With.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- How I Feel, Leong Ming Loong
- Something Systemic, Francie Lynch
- Alone This Morning, Francie Lynch
- Tell Then To Go, Francie Lynch
- Cutters, Francie Lynch
- Seeing the Happiness of Souls, Sayeed Abubakar