ivor or ivor.e hogg
No free passage
The long grey furrows of the sea
which switch and change incessantly
Conceal the graves of fishermen
who trusted her, once too often.
The sea is not trustworthy
her mood can change so easily.
She is a kind and cruel bitch.
The trouble is you don’t know which
side of her she’s going to show
Something that you can never know.
Until one day she will decide
her needs can’t go unsatisfied.
This is the day she turns on you
and there is nothing you can do.
You are the chosen sacrifice
and only your death will suffice.
Each year the sea demands her toll
and she will take it forcibly.
She will select some simple soul
and drown him quite remorselessly.
The sea, the sea, the cruel sea.
She fascinates all sailormen
who travel on her hopefully
She sometimes brings them home again.
ivor or ivor.e hogg's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (No free passage by ivor or ivor.e hogg )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- Wishes Granted, Bill Cantrell
- Killer instinct mind, Mark Heathcote
- Book Condition: (Fairest of the) Fair, mary douglas
- It's The Fairy Queen Out Of Sight In Pal.., mary douglas
- *VII*- To Love, Leslie Guylee Cron
- Every Man Remembered!, Denis Martindale
- White Frosted Cake Viewed At Ages 6 and 7, mary douglas
- Imprimatura, mary douglas
- What Catfish Is For - Meditation In Caro.., Warren Falcon
- Forgotten Waltz No.2 (After Liszt), mary douglas