Lawrence S. Pertillar
Not To Take What They Do That Deep
There are people who can not pretend,
They can show to have their empathy believed...
With a giving it to others under any circumstances.
That's how deeply they have become involved,
With themselves and their immediate perceived needs.
Are you listening?
As if I have a choice.'
To then suspect their pretentiousness goes unnoticed.
That their pre-meditated giving does not detect a selfishness.
I can't believe what I hear and my ears are all yours.'
And then to test,
Their fake sincerity given is not suspected...
That they wish from others something to get.
And then on top of this...
Those who do give and it is heartfelt in the doing,
Do no expect others to think of them as fools.
Even though some do.
And then some refuse to choose not to take what they do,
'And you? '
Don't stray away from the topic.
This is obviously not about me.
May I ask you a question? '
Don't be so ridiculous.
'Now that we are 'not' obviously talking about you.
Can you be less obvious in the talking about me? '
Let's talk about my expectations.
'And mine? '
There you go.
Always wanting it to be about you.
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Not To Take What They Do That Deep by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Let us not fail, hasmukh amathalal
- Friendship, Luo Zhihai
- Ang Mulugkhw, Swrji Basumatary
- Hounds, Anuradha Bhattacharyya
- Decide and follow, hasmukh amathalal
- If luck ends, hasmukh amathalal
- Love grants, hasmukh amathalal
- Figure out, hasmukh amathalal
- For our crimes, hasmukh amathalal
- A Lone In The Jungle., Chinweokwu Sunlight M. Ndubu ..