Colin Breck Boardman
O, How I Smile!
O, how I smile!
I smile at the morning sun,
I smile when the day is done;
I smile at a cup of tea,
I smile at the old oak tree;
I smile at the summer flower,
I smile at each sudden shower;
I smile at the horned moon,
I smile for poor Lorna Doone;
I smile on early Monday mornings,
I even smile when I'm yawning!
I smile in slow traffic jams,
I smile when I'm eating spam;
I smile when I miss my date,
I smile when the weekend's late;
I smile at the minimum wage,
I smile at the blank white page.
I smile when my hawks aren't fed,
I smile in my empty bed;
I smile at all my enemies,
(Which makes them rather ill at ease) !
I smile at horrid screaming babies,
I'll smile if my dogs get rabies;
I smile if the nights get cold,
I'll smile if I get too old;
I smile if I'm feeling vague,
I'll smile with bubonic plague;
(When I think of someone dear,
I'll smile with a little tear) .
I'll smile when the Furies call,
I'll smile when the cities fall;
I'll smile when all the cards are dealt,
I'll smile when the ice-caps melt;
I'll smile when all the bees have died,
I'll smile when the Earth has fried;
I'll still be smiling, there's no doubt,
Even when the Sun goes out.
But as I smile I'd like to say,
I smile out to sea each day,
Where once the summer wind had ranged,
And then so very quickly changed,
To leave me stranded in this place,
While fixing fast my smiling face.
(CBB Aug 2011)
Colin Breck Boardman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (O, How I Smile! by Colin Breck Boardman )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Don't Know If History Repeats Itself, Yehuda Amichai
- school, logan dillie
- THE MOMENT (BARACK HUSSAIN OBAMA’S INAUG.., sania harris
- Limerick: There was a young person whose.., Edward Lear
- ~ His[s]tory ~, MS. NIVEDITA BAGCHI SPC. UK.
Poem of the Day
- Uncle Styopa part2 by N. Mickhalkov, Yuri Starostin
- Secret Loves, Sandra Feldman
- Structural Designs, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Winter, Sara Grace Je'tom Bradley
- Life's trash, Yisel Chong
- I Just, Michael P. McParland
- What She Is, Levi Crum
- I Am So Tired, Michael P. McParland
- Sacrafice, Levi Crum
- The Dent, Levi Crum