ODE TO A GOLDFISH
This sad sequence came as aftermath
To the day I gave my goldfish a bath.
She was so happy. There was nary a scowl,
as she got her rubdown with the towel.
Then, into the water she slid -- in the nude,
to swim. A vision of piscatorial pulchritude.
I do get sentimental about a fish so ornamental..
And I knew: for her to flourish, I must properly nourish.
But a dead battery in my hearing aid made me unable
to read the "dog food" label on the package on the table.
That's how I made the mistake,
I fed her that --instead of fish flake.
Soon after, my "Goldie" began to look moldy.
Her gold seemed old. Her scale was pale.
She gasped for water! She began to fail!
She stopped swimming! She wagged her tail!
That dog food had gone to the fish's head.
She now thought she was a quadruped.
Trying (with imagined hind leg) to scratch her ear,
She fell and killed herself-- fractured posterior.
The bathroom's hallowed hush was shattered by the toilet's flush.
I made sure that my fish's memorial ceremony
Had all the dignity--of burial at sea.
And above the toilet will hang forever--this eulogy.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (ODE TO A GOLDFISH by Jack Robinson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Gordon D Wilkinson
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 December 1797 – 15 February 1869)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 March 1934 – 31 May 2009)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- If We Were Good......., Sandra Feldman
- Consolation, Tony Adah
- Goodnight Kiss, Michael P. McParland
- Marshes Of Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- What I Dream And What I Find, Amitava Sur
- Waves Within...., Umasree Raghunath
- Children of Peshawar! My heart bleeds fo.., Umasree Raghunath
- A History Of The Future- What's THAT? ? .., Bri Edwards
- Epistle therefrom Death, Sir Toby Moses
- Being Rich, Randy McClave