Ode to an Arizona Cliff (after Keats)
Still undeniable scene of quietness,
The eroded child of silence and slow time,
Silvered historian, who can exspress
A tale more shapely in rhyme;
What rock-fringed moves about you shape
Of ghosts and men or both.
In Tempe or the dales of Patagonia?
What overhangs are these? What minerals?
What wild pursuit? What struggle to erode?
Wha spires and entrails? What ecstasy?
Ah happy, happy leaves! that cannot shed
Your twigs, for ever leave Spring behind;
Ah, trenchant melodist, unbearable,
Ever stumming guitar songs novel;
More happy songs! More happy, happy love!
For ever warm by the sun,
For ever breathing life in his passion,
All human passion far above,
That drops forever into an abyss of sorrow,
A torrid tongue, and parching fingers.
Who is coming to the sacrifice?
It is their pleasure for the cunning
Of the steep hillside, deeply.
Axious men and overwought women,
With forest branches for hair and the trodden sod.
Thou, silent gulf! could tease out the thought
As if eternal. Cold Pastoral!
When old age this generation waste,
Thou shalt remain, in midst of another woe,
Than ours, a friend to man, to whom thou sayest:
'Beauty is truth, and truth beauty - that is all
Ye know on earth and all ye need to know.'
Stan Petrovich's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Ode to an Arizona Cliff (after Keats) by Stan Petrovich )
- THOUSAND MOONS, Satish Verma
- Where Larkspur Have The Purple Winds Gat.., mary douglas
- Rising For Another Day, Michael McParland
- The head, gajanan mishra
- Tobacco use, hasmukh amathalal
- Mystery of love, Chiazo Egbukwu
- Complete homes, hasmukh amathalal
- Landfill, Phil Soar
- W-a-t-c-h! Fury online movie free full s.., afandi azhaa
- Inadequacy (Depression), Avuyile 'Avue' Maseko
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(22 March 1941 -)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)