Of Cries That Are Heard
and reaped in green terraces;
and sighs that make the pen sweat,
and the nails labor in drops of seeds;
beneath the tangled curls,
Lo! They trembled in pain.
And as the day died,
and the fearful shadows
passed through the drooping train,
see, those cries cometh with tears
drenched in sweat.
And as the winter chill
hallowed the far reaching sky,
the cries pained in despair.
Crawled beneath the nostrils,
you see, those cries pained.
But all that survived, and
to the far shores reached
were these cries that are heard.
Hence, they are heard
when they survived.
So as you walk handcuffed,
and have the dry lips
pass through the troughs of barren land,
cries are often in distress heard,
in falling skin that melts in pain,
and while untying the fist
far in the woods.
Lo! As the drooping nails sulk
in oft dust-laden window sill,
for the heaven's sake, Lo!
Smile-less faces grace the portrait.
So as the eye-lids walk in fear,
behold the light that simmers in dark,
for that shall earn the waves of shore -
one that struggled in the dark nights.
And when thou hadst read
the harvest of eye-lids
belonged to season of pain,
‘T will be of walk in the rain day
from the beating sun,
to visit the cries that were heard,
and sighs that made the pen sweat.
Naveed Saraf's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
[The thought “Hearing of cries” in this poem does not have a religious reference.]
Comments about this poem (Of Cries That Are Heard by Naveed Saraf )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Rosy - 2, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Nangalum Manidan Than!, sisirachandra vaduge
- Time For Healing and Time to Love, Almedia Knight Oliver
- Merry-Christmas, gajanan mishra
- The best of surrenders, A. Jayaprakash Jayaprakash P ..
- This world is yours, gajanan mishra
- Wrapped Around Your Finger, Amber Carr
- With full freedom, hasmukh amathalal
- તે જ જોવાનું..tej jovaanu, hasmukh amathalal
- Sounds, Vera Sidhwa