Off To War
Ann was in tears as she sent Jimmy off to war
She cried as she thought that she would not see him anymore,
Maybe he will be killed, or shot, or become a prisoner of war
Those feelings Ann had about Jimmy, them she could not ignore.
Jimmy told her not to worry, he would be back to her that he swore,
Ann then wondered, how many men spoke those same words before.
Jimmy got his papers, to go serve and fight for his country overseas
For freedom and democracy in a land terrorists did seize,
But, why not protect and fight here instead, and why maybe die overseas
Now Jimmy holds a gun and he fights, and never uses his true expertise.
If he came back Ann thought, would he come back sick or with a disease,
In her mind and also in her soul, Ann could not stay at ease.
Ann kissed and hugged Jimmy and then she told him goodbye
As he left her side, on her knees she fell down as she began to cry,
She asked him will he be gone forever, and will this be their last goodbye
Jimmy told Ann that he would be back, but she knew that was a lie.
Why is he leaving her, only GOD and nation will ever know why
Life is short with dreams and wishes, and they're made shorter when we die.
Randy McClave's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Off To War by Randy McClave )
- Agony 2, Michael McParland
- Single-minded, gajanan mishra
- Last night was looking in my eyes, valentin savin
- Craving, Foster Teegarden
- Rain in summer امطار صيفية, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Poets everywhere, hasmukh amathalal
- New Sandwich, Von Kimball Barney
- Careless, Foster Teegarden
- Butterflies, Deborah Kelley
- Blurred, Foster Teegarden
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)