One Person At A Time
How do we substitute tolerance for prejudice? Lets take a moment to reflect...
How can we stamp out bigotry and replace it with respect?
How can we take people’s animosity and show them that kindness can fulfill?
How can we change their hatred into tenderness and good will?
How can we see people mocking the less fortunate and teach them sensitivity
How can we see people abusing others and teach them sympathy.
How can we see countries fighting and make those hostilities cease?
How can we take a world at war and create a world at peace?
How do we as individuals overcome the hopelessness of the injustices we see each day
And teach the peoples of the world there is a better way?
Mother Theresa said don’t look at the numbers, she said with each day start anew
And the best place to start changing the world is with the person nearest you.
I believe she was on to something, though it is a daunting uphill climb
Perhaps the best way to change the world is one person at a time.
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (One Person At A Time by Jim Yerman )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Poetic styles, Somanathan Iyer
- Unknown Cat, Somanathan Iyer
- Around us, Somanathan Iyer
- Don't ask certain people what food you h.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Empty Cartridge, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Your Love, abigail sikwenda
- The Missing Feeling, abigail sikwenda
- Lights Off, abigail sikwenda
- Situationships, abigail sikwenda
- Kind leaning, hasmukh amathalal