One Thousand Wrecks
Rising plumes carved midnights mist,
my ship in reefs she slowly lists,
mnemonic sounds defeat their fears
nil my voice in dead men's ears.
Her form upon the jetting rocks;
flowing moon gild silver locks,
eyes of tiny piercing dreads,
mermaid's song haunt pirate heads.
I swim determined toward the beach
black dagger ground between my teeth
up I climb the flesh stained ledge
to toss the mermaid from the edge.
I slow approach my wary prey;
my dagger sharp and hid away,
her chords penetrate to my soul,
my dagger slips and clangs in fall.
She smiles with an urchins grin,
I watch my dagger sink and spin
moonlight sharp against the cliffs
I lunge for her and break her grip.
Down we drop in breaker swells
she rises up I swim toward hell,
I see a speck of tiny steel
I search the bed with desperate feel.
Up I stroke and grasp for air
surface breaks I cough and swear
I spot my ship safe from the reefs
tonight her dirge contains no grief.
I swim and make way for the sand
sinewy pulls her slender hand;
her hair adorned with seashell specks,
her songs refrain, one thousand wrecks.
Captain Cur's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (One Thousand Wrecks by Captain Cur )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- Ode To Envy, Chibueze Oscar Osuji
- Time be quite, Filippo Stella
- Domestic goddess, Mark Heathcote
- Blank Depression, Chibueze Oscar Osuji
- The tears of human race, Great Emeritus
- Capsule Of Eternity, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- MY own fault, hasmukh amathalal
- on returning to my part time job-, Mandolyn ...
- Write new chapter, hasmukh amathalal
- COPLA 71 INVOCATION: This Bad Guy World, T (no first name) Wignesan