ONLY HALF THE FOLK VOTE Apr 17th,2011
We should be ashamed of a system where less than half the folk vote,
Something like what a Middle East despot dictator might promote,
The Australians are required to vote or they get fined,
Makes for a more democratic system if you don’t mind.
It seems to me that our politicians are reluctant to change,
We have a perfect democracy, they say, so why rearrange?
Then if only half the people bother to vote, then that’s good,
The parties – not the people have control; is that understood?
And why would our politicians be so reluctant to change?
Doesn’t seem normal to me, in fact it really seems quite strange,
Where less than half the people control who gets elected,
Am I missing something here or am I just not connected.
James Bredin's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (ONLY HALF THE FOLK VOTE Apr 17th,2011 by James Bredin )
- मीडिया, Priyanka Gupta
- The Daughter of the Earth - 19, gajanan mishra
- सीने में आग भरो, Aftab Alam
- Annoyance Generator, Christopher Withers
- The Lass Of Alberry, Julian Mann
- The truant.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- All Is This World, Gbolagade Taiwo
- Feeling Alive, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Reactions To A Poem, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Examinations, abhi mangla
Poem of the Day
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(3rd April 19sixty)