My secrets cry aloud.
I have no need for tongue.
My heart keeps open house,
My doors are widely swung.
An epic of the eyes
My love, with no disguise.
My truths are all foreknown,
This anguish self-revealed.
I’m naked to the bone,
With nakedness my shield.
Myself is what I wear:
I keep the spirit spare.
The anger will endure,
The deed will speak the truth
In language strict and pure.
I stop the lying mouth:
Rage warps my clearest cry
To witless agony.
Theodore Roethke's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Open House by Theodore Roethke )
Did you read them?
- It is impossible, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- What The Culture Drug In - Da Dammerrung.., Warren Falcon
- my thumbs were once pro twiddlers, Mandolyn ...
- Await for your return, Fluorescent Reality
- Serenade To Love, David Harris
- MONSTER FORCE WARS, shannon strauss
- i write because i'm not very good at darts, Mandolyn ...
- Light, Neela Nath
- Inbetweeness-painful midlife blues, Nalini Chaturvedi
- In that april shadow, Pradip Chattopadhyay