I have often walked along that way,
But it wasn’t until earlier today,
That I saw a rare and wonderful sight,
Which filled my heart with such delight.
They weren’t on TV or even in a zoo,
But there in front of me: could it be true?
A group of otters before my two eyes:
It really was such a lovely surprise!
At first, I wasn’t sure what I had spied,
But, when I realised, I stood there wide-eyed;
Never before had I seen otters in the wild:
A magical moment for both adult and child.
Altogether, I spotted about four or five;
Under the water, I watched them dive.
The water around them sploshed and splished,
As, for their supper, the otters then fished.
I stood on tip-toe to gain a better view.
(Over my head, some seagulls flew) .
Through the brambles, I eagerly peeked.
The otter’s bodies were slender and sleek.
Upon the footpath, I silently stayed,
Watching the otters some ten feet away.
Through the water, the otters darted;
From my view, two otters departed.
I stood watching them for quite a while.
Upon my lips, there played a small smile.
As, at the otters, I stood there gazing,
I thought the moment was so amazing.
Between branches, I saw tiny birds flit;
My view, by this point, was poorly lit.
For a while longer, I wanted to stay,
But the descending dusk drove me away.
Angela Wybrow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Otters by Angela Wybrow )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Three Kings, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Suicide in the Trenches, Siegfried Sassoon
Poem of the Day
- Nobody, maryline vautravers
- Textology - 3. Mistakes, Joseph Archer
- Your smile, Leong Ming Loong
- everything is ok, Cee Bea
- मेरी तनहाइयां..............., sanjay kumar maurya
- Curses Of Much, Naveed Akram
- Colors of Our Love, Saliah Jabbar
- witness, Cee Bea
- It Was Delightfully Cold, Naveed Akram
- DUAL ROLE, MBJ Pancras