I have often walked along that way,
But it wasn’t until earlier today,
That I saw a rare and wonderful sight,
Which filled my heart with such delight.
They weren’t on TV or even in a zoo,
But there in front of me: could it be true?
A group of otters before my two eyes:
It really was such a lovely surprise!
At first, I wasn’t sure what I had spied,
But, when I realised, I stood there wide-eyed;
Never before had I seen otters in the wild:
A magical moment for both adult and child.
Altogether, I spotted about four or five;
Under the water, I watched them dive.
The water around them sploshed and splished,
As, for their supper, the otters then fished.
I stood on tip-toe to gain a better view.
(Over my head, some seagulls flew) .
Through the brambles, I eagerly peeked.
The otter’s bodies were slender and sleek.
Upon the footpath, I silently stayed,
Watching the otters some ten feet away.
Through the water, the otters darted;
From my view, two otters departed.
I stood watching them for quite a while.
Upon my lips, there played a small smile.
As, at the otters, I stood there gazing,
I thought the moment was so amazing.
Between branches, I saw tiny birds flit;
My view, by this point, was poorly lit.
For a while longer, I wanted to stay,
But the descending dusk drove me away.
Angela Wybrow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Otters by Angela Wybrow )
- Buried Beneath The Waves, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- uncomfortable, maharshi trivedi
- Mexican Food With Jesus, Mr. Nobody
- Sonnet of Pain, Sierra Staten
- Particle Of Breath, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- थिरिँ बिरिँ x5, Ronjoy Brahma
- Come Come, Tango Tango
- God Teaches Geology (M-F), Mr. Nobody
- I am Running Faster, Akhtar Jawad
- (समनि नायथाय) गुफुर उखुन्दैनि खुवाया, Ronjoy Brahma
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns