Our Guiding Star
A sad young boy on Christmas Eve,
Kneels down by the well lit tree.
He looks down at the presents,
Wrapped up so perfectly.
In his hand's a picture,
That's cherished by the lad,
He looks at it with tearful eyes,
His picture of his Dad.
For Daddy's up in Heaven,
He went away to war,
He won't be here to share the joy,
The pain is very raw.
His Mother hears her young boys cries,
And sits down by his side,
I know, I miss him too she say's,
As she looks into his eyes.
Your Father was a brave man,
He'd want you, to be too,
He couldn't bear to see you sad,
For he thought the world of you.
He fought for Queen and Country,
It's time for him to rest,
In the beautiful garden of Angels,
He's up there with the best.
The little lad jumped to his feet,
His tears turned to a smile,
He placed the picture on the tree,
Then gazed at it a while.
I'll put him there, he proudly said,
He'll never be that far,
So he can share our Christmas Day,
He'll be our Guiding Star.
Jayne Davies's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Our Guiding Star by Jayne Davies )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 November 1759 – 9 May 1805)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Mack, Kim Barney
- Who Told You That?, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Two Friends, Kim Barney
- Happy Birthday, Jesus!, Mitta Xinindlu
- Paint my Souls, Jennifer Colyne Hall
- Logic in Rhyme 5, Kim Barney
- What about counry, hasmukh amathalal
- Heart on Fire, Jennifer Colyne Hall
- 'Tis a Somewhat Sad Christmas!, Dr John Celes
- Let me observe carefully, gajanan mishra