Our Guiding Star
A sad young boy on Christmas Eve,
Kneels down by the well lit tree.
He looks down at the presents,
Wrapped up so perfectly.
In his hand's a picture,
That's cherished by the lad,
He looks at it with tearful eyes,
His picture of his Dad.
For Daddy's up in Heaven,
He went away to war,
He won't be here to share the joy,
The pain is very raw.
His Mother hears her young boys cries,
And sits down by his side,
I know, I miss him too she say's,
As she looks into his eyes.
Your Father was a brave man,
He'd want you, to be too,
He couldn't bear to see you sad,
For he thought the world of you.
He fought for Queen and Country,
It's time for him to rest,
In the beautiful garden of Angels,
He's up there with the best.
The little lad jumped to his feet,
His tears turned to a smile,
He placed the picture on the tree,
Then gazed at it a while.
I'll put him there, he proudly said,
He'll never be that far,
So he can share our Christmas Day,
He'll be our Guiding Star.
Jayne Davies's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Our Guiding Star by Jayne Davies )
- Basukinath Temple of Lord Shiva, umaprosad das
- Love Travelling Or The Travellers In Lov.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- I'll Never Leave You, Michael McParland
- A, Vera Sidhwa
- Save The Girl Child, Bijay Kant Dubey
- God and Most Young People, Is It Poetry
- women,, Nassy Fesharaki
- Left Before She Was Found, Sierra Staten
- Child in Me, Sierra Staten
- Of the Seven Deadly Sins- Jealousy, Emily Liang
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- GREATNESS OF MOTHER, P.YASWANTH REDDY
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)