Owing to Eve
OF what is good and of what is bad,
The human race owes this knowledge to Eve.
By getting herself and Adam in fig leaves clad,
She was the first human Wisdom to conceive.
Alas! after that they were into a dilemma put
Between conservative hold and radical edification.
The libertine wanted to reject mythical root
And the ascetic to stand absurd predestination.
That is why even Noah’s descendants
Rebelled against God, building the Babel tower,
While the self-claimed Creator’s dependants,
Inquisitors, persecuted people to impose power.
We, today, have found no waters above the dome
(But many suns, the Big Bang, the Black Hole) !
Much older than six thousand years: Man’s home!
Organ implants, test tube babies: non-God’s role!
Determined not to use Wisdom to sham,
Humankind is to improve and perfect human life.
One should no longer remain as meek as a lamb
But follow Eve who has ventured that first stride.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Owing to Eve by Nhuan LeXuan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Love Many Ones, Again & Again., Durgapuri Babu
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Before I Knocked, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Wild cock and hen., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- My name, gajanan mishra
- It Was 1986 When I Started Writing In En.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- You can attain, gajanan mishra
- Escaping the Friend Zone, Charles Hancock
- A Caged Mind, Leong Ming Loong
- Uncle Trevor's Equality Theory, rohan bendre
- Right direction, gajanan mishra
- Brother wept, hasmukh amathalal
- Not good to go with deaf ear, gajanan mishra