Owing to Eve
OF what is good and of what is bad,
The human race owes this knowledge to Eve.
By getting herself and Adam in fig leaves clad,
She was the first human Wisdom to conceive.
Alas! after that they were into a dilemma put
Between conservative hold and radical edification.
The libertine wanted to reject mythical root
And the ascetic to stand absurd predestination.
That is why even Noah’s descendants
Rebelled against God, building the Babel tower,
While the self-claimed Creator’s dependants,
Inquisitors, persecuted people to impose power.
We, today, have found no waters above the dome
(But many suns, the Big Bang, the Black Hole) !
Much older than six thousand years: Man’s home!
Organ implants, test tube babies: non-God’s role!
Determined not to use Wisdom to sham,
Humankind is to improve and perfect human life.
One should no longer remain as meek as a lamb
But follow Eve who has ventured that first stride.
Nhuan LeXuan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Owing to Eve by Nhuan LeXuan )
- For Time was deep, Emmanuel George Cefai
- I Cant Have You, Tracee Olga
- A verse A chant, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Face of the skeleton, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Throughout, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Days after days after days Are lost., Emmanuel George Cefai
- This night will come As other nights., Emmanuel George Cefai
- In to the slalom, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Life as gift, hasmukh amathalal
- The new and ugly SaykesPeko, MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Heather Burns