Please Don’t Shoot Me Today
I’m beggin’ you please
don’t shoot me today.
I’m just goin’ out in a usual way.
Filled up with love steppin’ through the door;
I just wanna live,
I got so much more -
When I turn my back -
will you attack?
Is it YOU,
Or YOU, her, him or them?
Not feelin’ so right?
Too tired, too angry;
every breath is a fight?
Did you “gulp-it-up”?
Sippin’ too long from the dark,
They say “all the world is a stage”.
Have you been played -
the WRONG song;
buying into the part where you get to decide
who lives and who dies?
Is it YOU,
or YOU, her, him or them?
Is it in your eyes -
I wish I knew for SURE
what to do
to live today
while I enter this line just to buy stamps
and my stomach greets me
So I’m beggin’ you please,
wherever you are;
don’t take ME there!
I work it all out with my heart -
not that you care
but I’m still hopin’-and-beggin’ you please
DON’T shoot ME today!
I’m not toxic
or sly like a fox
it may seem simplistic
while you’ve gone ballistic!
And I still like to see birds flying south -
simple things -
and for a moment I wonder -
will your weapon of rage get crammed down my mouth?
I just want to LIVE,
I got BIG love to give -
Please don’t shoot me today!
Renee Marie's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Lee Boyd Malvo, along with John Allen Muhammad, had as yet been charged with the shooting spree near Washington, D.C. for three weeks in 2002
Comments about this poem (Please Don’t Shoot Me Today by Renee Marie )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(8 December 1943 -)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- Stafford's Cabin, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Ripping A Seam, Saiom Shriver
- You Are My World, Gillu Rahul
- The Hype Is Gone, Tony Adah
- Bug Religion, Saiom Shriver
- A Gratitude to My Unseen Friends, Akhtar Jawad
- I Pray For You, Gillu Rahul
- Touch Downs, Saiom Shriver
- Bethlehem, Saiom Shriver
- Beloved Brand, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- The Shadow, Benjamin Michael Clark