Lawrence S. Pertillar
Please Forgive Them For What They Do
The one thing I have noticed,
About those who choose to stay subservient...
Is their love to be apologetic,
To those they 'assume' still...in whatever way...
Suppress and oppress them by a passing of judgement.
Although times have passed for many to have left them,
Not to revisit again.
But many with a limited consciousness,
Done whenever they 'believe' inappropriate actions,
By their own kind they find offensive...
When out and about during those social events.
To then hope to impress and convince 'themselves' especially,
That they are much different than those like them...
Who are obviously not as properly trained for such affairs.
And they begin to put on 'airs'.
'Oh my. Oh dear.
I too am appalled by their behavior and lack of social graces.
Please forgive them for what they do.
I assure you I am not like them at all. Oh my goodness...
Did you hear that? Such loud and disrespectful laughter.
Look. Look at what they are doing now. Chewing 'and' talking...
At the same time. I am so glad I am not like that.'
What is it that they do 'you' believe I should find offensive? '
The entire package from head to toe.
Their apparent disdain for etiquette.
Their ignorance displayed AND in public view.
Oh...how utterly atrocious.
I am so glad I am not like that.~
And so glad I am you brought that to my attention.
It is 'they' and not 'you',
We have gathered here to honor...
For maintaining their honesty, identity and personality.
And remaining true to themselves inspite of all the B.S.
It is YOU that I find obnoxious and pretentious.'
~OH. Uh...excuse me,
I've spotted a few of my dearest friends.
Apparently they don't see me 'mingling'!
HEY! HEY ya'll.
Now don't ya'll go actin' like you don't see me over here.
Lawd chile...how ya'll been doin'?
And thank you for the conversation.~
It was you who opened my eyes and ears,
To so much I view who is in need of self-assessment.'
~That's what I've been saying.
But that's between you and me.~
'Some of 'us' aren't who we appear to be.'
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Please Forgive Them For What They Do by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Christmas Carol, Sara Teasdale
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Brain is the link., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Fireworks Of Ideas, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sleep it away., Gary Hembree
- Adil Jussawalla The Poet, Bijay Kant Dubey
- It's Morning, Dr Ronnie Bai
- She and He, Dr Ronnie Bai
- My last regret, Eliza Clair
- My Hometown Today, Dr Ronnie Bai
- Half ajar, Mark Heathcote
- Driftwood (II), Dr Ronnie Bai