I waited patiently for the Lord;
And He inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
He brought me up also out of an horrible pit,
Out of the miry clay,
And set my feet upon a rock,
And established my goings.
And He hath put a new song in my mouth,
Even praise unto our God;
Many shall see it, and fear,
And shall trust in the Lord.
Blessed is that man who maketh the Lord His trust,
And respecteth not the proud,
Nor such as turn aside to lies.
May, O Lord my God, are Thy wonderful works
Which Thou hast done.
And Thy thoughts which are to us-ward:
They cannot be reckoned up in order unto Thee:
If I would declare and speak of them,
They are more than can be numbered.
Sacrifice and offering Thou didst not desire;
Mine ears hast Thou opened:
Burnt-offering and sin-offering hast Thou not required.
Then said I, Lo, I come:
In the volume of the Book it is written of me,
I delight to do Thy Will, O my God:
Yea, Thy Law is within my heart.
I have preached righteousness in the great congregation:
Lo, I have not refrained my lips,
O Lord, Thou knowest.
I have not hid Thy righteousness within my heart;
I have declared Thy faithfulness and Thy salvation:
I have not concealed Thy lovingkindness and Thy truth
From the great congregation.
Withhold not Thou Thy tender mercies from me, O Lord:
Let Thy lovingkindness and Thy truth continually preserve me.
For innumerable evils have compassed me about:
Mine iniquities have taken hold upon me,
So that I am not able to look up;
They are more than the hairs of mine head:
Therefore, my heart faileth me.
Be pleased, O Lord, deliver me:
O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let them be ashamed and confounded together
That seek after my soul to destroy it;
Let them be driven backward and put to shame that wish me evil.
Let them be desolate for a reward of their shame
That say unto me, Aha, aha.
Let all those that seek Thee rejoice and be glad in Thee:
Let such as love Thy salvation say continually,
The Lord be magnified.
But I am poor and needy;
Yet the Lord thinketh upon me:
Thou art my help and my deliverer;
Make no tarrying, O my God.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Psalm 40 by Justin Reamer )
- Non - Compliance, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Not Understanding, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Is homosexual an adultery?, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- my heart zeal's with the angels, Antonio Liao
- Peace Of The Soul, Michael McParland
- Dream: Not Scream, Aftab Alam
- Do you?, Petai Jirakongpipat
- Standing, Dislocated Heart
- There Goes Life (Dust To Dust), Michael McParland
- Bluened Intellect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dirge, Ralph Waldo Emerson
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Incident In A Rose Garden (By Donald Jus.., michael zhitnitsky
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)