Ready To Act!
The cheetah sensed a presence near,
A sudden sound was heard,
He looked around to get things clear
And tension in him stirred...
Not breathing now to focus more,
He waited extra signs,
As if preparing there for war,
Despite the sun that shines...
For things aren't always what they seem,
As hunting skills had proved,
Sometimes serene, sometimes extreme,
Yet he was rarely soothed...
This time, he stared intently so,
Completely on his guard,
For every cheetah comes to know
That sometimes life gets hard...
Amazingly, he stood his ground,
With courage rarely shown,
For something close was circling round,
So he was not alone...
Then out of nowhere, danger struck,
So fast it had to stun!
Good job for him he had some luck...
You should've seen him run!
Denis Martindale, copyright, July 2013.
The poem is based on the magnificent painting
by Stephen Gayford called 'Ready To Act'.
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ready To Act! by Denis Martindale )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- Mending Wall, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- I Want A Foreigner Girl For Me, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Blackberries / Briars, Frank Avon
- Daru Pikar Naya Varsha Shuru Karne Ka Er.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- It Is Time, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Mother's Love, Father's Love, Sister's L.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- 52, Frank Avon
- Treasure, M.J. Lemon
- For A Friend... (Prose) ..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Thank you Poets!, Paul Sebastian
- One Mourning In The August of '17, Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR