Tough proud, enduring witness,
she has watched through passing time,
the lives of generations flow
beneath this hoary pine.
Red sentinel standing tall and stark,
matriarch of her kind,
around her feet, mere ants, we crawl,
the "Faer-world" out of mind.
That mirror world, that echoes ours,
where energies merge and flow,
oblivion is lurking there,
much closer than we know.
Around her crown dark-watchers glean
the news from far and near;
the Morrigu... whose dealings are
in darkness, death and fear.
Flapping, ancient rags of black,
and raucous, chilling cries,
denizens from that other place
where illusive myth-worlds lie.
Omnipotence eludes their grasp,
venerable though they be,
oblivious of their sentient host,
primordial, silent, free.
Dark-seekers sliding betwixt worlds,
their transient passing marked,
recorded deep in ancient rings,
‘neath ragged, time-worn bark.
A constant presence in our midst,
enduring, dark and deep,
observing and absorbing this
unconscious world, asleep.
Andy Allan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Red Sentinel by Andy Allan )
- Colorless Light, Sandra Feldman
- The ragged men of Indian English poetry, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Thoughts, nicholle gibson
- PH: Sin: The Wages Of Sin, Brian Johnston
- Ideals Envisioned, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- America Radicalized, Is It Poetry
- Just before Midnight, Frank Avon
- I and I, Daniel Erdner
- Love: Don't Bargain, Aftab Alam
- War is lust and Peace is Love,, Aftab Alam
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Where The Mind Is Without Fear, Rabindranath Tagore
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)