Retirement's a Requirement
Retirement's a requirement to enjoy life.
Rest a spell, who can tell, you may not need that strife?
Say 'hi' to those you haven't seen enough before,
Like relatives and friends who once brightened your door.
Change seizure to leisure. Decide what you want.
Up at eight, then it's straight to your favorite haunt.
Or sleep until nine and then dine in bed.
Rise 'n shine when ready or keep snoozin' instead.
Or do you thrive on meetings with no time to eat?
With business your world, you'd rather compete.
Pursuit of power and the pace of each hour
Keep you longing for that grand ivory tower.
If it's money you seek, think what it buys…
Enjoyment and freedom or a box just your size.
Take care as you give your assets a shove
That you don't push aside the ones that you love.
If your goal is to make the world a better place,
Improve the creature that inhabits your space.
Best to stop hoarding and discover a way
To retire your past and require today.
Gregory Huyette's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Retirement's a Requirement by Gregory Huyette )
- Pigeon, Foster Teegarden
- Idle mind at rest, hasmukh amathalal
- Against nature, gajanan mishra
- Train, Foster Teegarden
- Inspiration (Haiku), Toshie Nohara
- Rain In Summer, Neela Nath
- Friendship is made by God, gajanan mishra
- Friend, JAMES T. ADAIR
- You'll Never Know, Akhtar Jawad
- Resource less, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Percy Bysshe Shelley