Picture an idyllic scene:
The sky is blue, the grass is green.
Birds are singing and happily winging,
Through the grounds; they fly around.
Trees and ferns are everywhere,
Freshening the air.
Squirrels race up and down the bark,
And butterflies dance and lark.
But lo, our paradise is marred.
I see... Naught but a mushroom.
Insignificant, yet it fills me with doom.
This fungous pest,
I cannot rest,
I walk to scrape it off.
But... As I blinked...
Now, on the tree, inked
In mold, there are two.
I hear hidden laughter:
I whirl, but the enemy is faster.
I turn back to the tree to rid it of blight,
But... Now there are five! A trick of the light?
I grab my knife,
But in my strife,
My finger brushes the growth.
Pain! Agony! Despair!
I gaze at the sky with glassy eyes and a vacant stare.
Darkness. It consumes the world.
I awake on hard rock.
I open my eyes, and faint in shock!
Back to consciousness, swimming back,
Still pain does my body wrack.
Tears fill my eyes.
What once was paradise,
Now in ruins lies.
Toadstools have overtaken my park,
Gripping and rotting the trees' ancient bark.
Shadows shroud my clear sky,
My menagerie has died.
My precious pond... Where fish and frogs frolicked in mud,
Now... Consumed by blood.
A spark of light,
My head snaps right,
And my heart sinks at the flame.
This chaos bows to none.
I watch helplessly as my life burns away and when it reaches me,
It has won.
I fall into the dead warmth gratefully.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ruin by Thomas Ware )
- Is Suicide The Answer?, louis rams
- Special Meanings Spoken, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Best Thing, Gerry Legister
- Burn, Your Eyes, Josh Terpening
- In a Dark Dark Room on Halloween, Eve Carter
- Benefit Of Intellect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Symbol Of Freedom, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Keeping Done A Decadence, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Writing Into Existence, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Reap & Sow, Angela K Brown
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)