Sidi J. Mahtrow
Sarasota Florida – A Place in the Sun
Every year they come,
Old and weathered,
Weary and cantankerous,
Following the sun
That is setting on their lives.
They seek the glitzy,
The every green, the warmth,
Casting off their cares
For their time in the sun.
Maybe, just maybe
Some will see the town
Underneath all the new
Cold – yes cold,
Lifeless town in the sun.
For in an eyes blink
One sees another, Sarasota
Shell roads, deep sand,
Scrub palmetto, mosquito, flies and
Crackers making do
With their place in the sun.
Sarasota, once a family town
Where children wandered barefoot
On the pristine white sand,
Kicking a shell aside,
Enjoying their home in the sun.
The spire of the Baptist Church
Rising above it all there on Main
Beckoning all to come inside
(But now submerged amongst
The tide of scrapers
Shielding it from the sun.)
A fishing village where
One could never want for
Fresh fish, shrimp, oysters,
'There for the Taking*, '
Cast and you shall find
What awaits you in your
Place in the sun.
Yet Sarasota is the place to be
Where one can be free,
Free from the rush of life,
If only one takes the time
To Enjoy, a place in the sun.
(In Memory of Martha Louise Moore, born and raised in her place in the Sun.)
'There for the Taking', James E. Moore. A book describing his many years harvesting shells from the Gulf of Mexico for sale in his shop in Palmetto, Florida.
Sidi J. Mahtrow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sarasota Florida – A Place in the Sun by Sidi J. Mahtrow )
- Inspiration to Live, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Shadow Chase, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Love and True love, Tilde Sauffaus
- On - that note, sEaN nOrTh
- In The Quiet Of The Night, Clive Blake
- PH: Nature: Canoeing the Mississippi #8, Brian Johnston
- Old Drunk's Advice to an Anxious Beau, Donal Mahoney
- TWAILE! ! !, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- Mother, Tamara Dunn
- Autumn, Mark Hamilton
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Heather Burns