They can take me farther;
The cruise going down through time
To sightless depths we can't fathom.
Learning to swim at the ocean's mouth,
Waterwinged angels, flitting through currents
While drowning somewhere, inside your story-
Where does one leave off,
When we've run out of glory?
The umbilical cord trails away
In a unicorn's lair,
Or a mermaid's cave;
Some things more
Than the sum of their days.
I saw the road opening out in your words,
I felt the dust storms, coating my dreams;
Salt water waves gently cleansing my wounds,
Take me to see the place where you live;
Vertiginous forests, not made of trees.
I'm burying you deep inside of me now;
Praying for keeps, when the storm recedes
Laying pieces of scattered sea glass out;
Gathering up a lost dowry, of sea;
Some things we know should always stay free.
Patti Masterman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sea-Glass Eyes by Patti Masterman )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Blow, Blow, Thou Winter Wind, William Shakespeare
- The Shoelace, Charles Bukowski
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- The bad boy mentality, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- A sunflower soul, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- BFF - dOnE - playing kEtCh uP, sEaN nOrTh
- A 360 turn, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- an i like you that way - sweetest thing .., sEaN nOrTh
- Longing, Michael P. McParland
- The Home Here And Hereafter., Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- American As Apple Pie?, carol carter
- The Final Litmus Test, michael walkerjohn
- The ascent of peace., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..