They can take me farther;
The cruise going down through time
To sightless depths we can't fathom.
Learning to swim at the ocean's mouth,
Waterwinged angels, flitting through currents
While drowning somewhere, inside your story-
Where does one leave off,
When we've run out of glory?
The umbilical cord trails away
In a unicorn's lair,
Or a mermaid's cave;
Some things more
Than the sum of their days.
I saw the road opening out in your words,
I felt the dust storms, coating my dreams;
Salt water waves gently cleansing my wounds,
Take me to see the place where you live;
Vertiginous forests, not made of trees.
I'm burying you deep inside of me now;
Praying for keeps, when the storm recedes
Laying pieces of scattered sea glass out;
Gathering up a lost dowry, of sea;
Some things we know should always stay free.
Patti Masterman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sea-Glass Eyes by Patti Masterman )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- "Baby talk", Mark Heathcote
- GAZA'S TRIUMPH IS EVERYONE'S, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Wondering Moments, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Shadows Leading Me, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Fairness!, Clarence Prince
- At Her Feet, Naveed Akram
- Enjoying Interior Sensations, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Know everything at least, gajanan mishra
- Lost Images, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Abortion (cry of a foetus), ramesh rai