James Walter Orr
Shadows of Separation
SHADOWS OF SEPARATION
I call to you across the miles,
those empty miles which lie between
the place I am, the place I was,
and where I used to lie
and whisper gently in your ear.
Oh, how I hope tonight you hear
the message that I send to you
across the valleys green.
But yet, I hear the echoes die
and only the soft breeze's sigh
is left to give me hope that my
words find their destination.
With only silence left to say
the things that cannot stay unsaid,
the things on which our love has fed,
the things and thoughts that filled our day
with endless fascination.
So once again, I have to try;
I shout my message to the sky,
to ricochet against the moon,
reverberate against a star,
be picked up by the night bird's croon
and find its way to where you are,
to sing to you my lover's tune,
proclaim my love, and let my song
be echoed close and echoed far.
Oh Love, the fires that in me burn:
My fiery blood, my blazing soul
can only serve to make me yearn
to take your body and enfold
against my heart, to meet my goal.
How often in my dreams, I stroke
the skin that puts fine silk to shame;
and kiss your lips, absorb your warmth,
know rapture as you call my name.
Oh, Lover, hear me as I call,
let not our spirits be apart.
Oh, Darling, smile once more for me,
and drive the shadows from my heart.
James Walter Orr's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Shadows of Separation by James Walter Orr )
- Bottled and Guarded the Overberg Story, Jenny Santiago
- हमारा घर हमारा भारत, MIRTUNJAY KUMAR
- Lampost, Naveed Khalid
- Tablet Of Simurgh, Naveed Khalid
- My Chamber of the Great Escape, Jenny Santiago
- To The Moon I, Naveed Khalid
- Where I want to be, Jenny Santiago
- Beehive, Naveed Khalid
- Purgatory, Naveed Khalid
- I seek, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Ballad of Gentleness, Geoffrey Chaucer
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Being With You, Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)