Bygone, I harboured three girls in one bed. They now
harvest rumpled smiles and yield nervous babble mid
powwow, apropos… “Remember when”? There is
not a word with respect to our hush-hush as we
cackle and grin.
We are seasoned today and what happened then is
unlikely now, except for what we have filed away
within, from the time of… “Remember when”?
One can never relive the past but for the retrieval, of
Periodically I am alone, I shape-shift and we are
three girls and a boy the way we were at eighteen.
So fluent so fresh so sleek… “Remember when”?
They whisper my name, I close my eyes and I
I have enough generic with cads and rascals and
I have no remorse. And oh my, how mellow we have ripened.
Time is shifting into high gear now and one day we shall fey
toward our fast future and crash, one by one and we will…
William Cavanagh's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Shape-Shifting by William Cavanagh )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Around the eyes, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- A Lovely Child, Akhtar Jawad
- Courtny Stoned, shelly keats
- Politically right, Hardik Vaidya
- Pussy cat, gajanan mishra
- Geweldskoorts, Madrason writer
- Sine Curve, Hardik Vaidya
- Alone in the Winepress, Terrance Tracy
- I Am Human, Marites C. Cayetano
- Is Isolation, Rohit Sapra