She, He, It
She switches the tv on
while she's drinking coffee
and the first thing she sees
is that red, white, and blue
God knows what
they saw last night:
it's Humpty Dumpty.
Cinderella and Little Bo Peep
riding on the float with him
burst into song and she wonders
if they sang all the way down
or just in front of Macy's
He would have loved this
if he stayed by the museum
or wandered downtown...
Bart Simpson goes by
on his skateboard
for the third time
the announcers say.
He was the last blown up.
They pause for commercials
and say Garfield is next,
he's the one she wants to see.
When viewing closed last night
there was still a leak in him.
Oh, he's lying down
when last night she predicted
he'd be upright
and his air still
doesn't seem enough
She remembers now
from parades as a kid:
they travel, stop, travel, stop
doing their routines
each stopping point
If she knows him
he immediately wandered
toward where the music was
After eight years
she knows him and he, her.
Without even asking this morning
he knew she'd rather sleep
and as she sits down to write this
she wonders how long this parade
The last floats must be nearing Macy's
Bart starts around yet another time.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (She, He, It by Rochelle Ratner )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Frederick William (FW) Harvey
Mir Taqi Mir
(1723 - 1810)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Under The Moonlit Nights, I See You, See.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- have you seen my hand?, Mandolyn ...
- My Inspiration Are You, The Day I Saw You, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Azar, Nassy Fesharaki
- Ohio State, Saiom Shriver
- crowding around the crumbs you leave, Mandolyn ...
- The Drunkard All Alone in The House, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Wide Open II, Edward Kofi Louis
- Christmas Day in Philly, Benjamin Michael Clark
- Shepherdess II, Edward Kofi Louis