Sir Gawaine And The Green Knight
Reptilian green the wrinkled throat,
Green as a bough of yew the beard;
He bent his head, and so I smote;
Then for a thought my vision cleared.
The head dropped clean; he rose and walked;
He fixed his fingers in the hair;
The head was unabashed and talked;
I understood what I must dare.
His flesh, cut down, arose and grew.
He bade me wait the season’s round,
And then, when he had strength anew,
To meet him on his native ground.
The year declined; and in his keep
I passed in joy a thriving yule;
And whether waking or in sleep,
I lived in riot like a fool.
He beat the woods to bring me meat.
His lady, like a forest vine,
Grew in my arms; the growth was sweet;
And yet what thoughtless force was mine!
By practice and conviction formed,
With ancient stubbornness ingrained,
Although her body clung and swarmed,
My own identity remained.
Her beauty, lithe, unholy, pure,
Took shapes that I had never known;
And had I once been insecure,
Had grafted laurel in my bone.
And then, since I had kept the trust,
Had loved the lady, yet was true,
The knight withheld his giant thrust
And let me go with what I knew.
I left the green bark and the shade,
Where growth was rapid, thick, and still;
I found a road that men had made
And rested on a drying hill.
Yvor Winters's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sir Gawaine And The Green Knight by Yvor Winters )
- With No Rest, Edward Kofi Louis
- A Dark Cloud, Edward Kofi Louis
- When we were, 107 tshepzen
- 379. Song—Fragment—Love for love, Robert Burns
- Snail, snake!, Edward Kofi Louis
- 89. The Ordination, Robert Burns
- Cold Rooms, Edward Kofi Louis
- On Hinges Swings, Chukwuemeka Okonkwo
- With Compassion, Edward Kofi Louis
- Adieu!, RAJESH.C BOSE
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Exposure, Wilfred Owen
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1679 - 1718)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)