Lawrence S. Pertillar
Smart And/Or Lucky
There is a style that emerges,
When one applies a skill.
When one devotes both time and loyalty...
With determination that motivates a will.
A drive that is given.
And takes this as a craft.
To those who view this as sacrificial...
Could never be disciplined,
To tasks requiring a focus that lasts.
Or taking it upon themselves,
To 'do' and not ask!
To love what one does,
May not be easy because one loves it.
It might be the challenge,
One faces to embrace.
To enhance a curiosity,
In one's mind that takes place.
And some have a way,
To overcome their own obstacles.
While others try to pretend they don't exist.
With excuses that are fixed,
In exaggerated wishes.
To say what it is they dream to do.
But the doing of the deed that should please,
Never finds time in their minds to get done.
And these are the same ones,
Who are quick to say...
Someone is either smart and /or lucky.
And imply no work has been involved or applied!
Or that one has been gifted with talents.
Subtracting to mention...
Those 'talents' are honed,
By many sleepless nights...
With some tears sometimes to cry!
To deliver what is loved,
Into an undelusioned reality.
To prove to 'self' what can be accomplished.
With motivated determination self inflicted.
Without a magic wand involved.
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Smart And/Or Lucky by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(October 27, 1932 – February 11, 1963)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Moonlit Night, Tu Fu
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- MERCY OUR COVALENCY REMAINS WITH BUOYANCY, ANTHONY KIRUI
- Haiku A Wizened Rose By Sophy Chen, Sophy Chen
- A Cleaner World, Luis Estable
- A Coronary Relapse, white dove
- When I Die, Luis Estable
- As if I'd Fallen in Its Waves by Sophy.., Sophy Chen
- It Pushes It Out, Luis Estable
- Vatsyayana, You Had No Book To Write, Bu.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Blood Is Never Water, Luis Estable
- I Have Known It Well, Luis Estable