ivor or ivor.e hogg
Solace For M lady Helen Unknown
The surging tides that ebb and flow
I watch them come I watch them go.
The rolling waters of the sea,
have freedom now denied to me.
But she still calls me constantly.
My only mistress was the sea
‘til I asked you to marry me.
The only way you would agree
I must say farewell to the sea.
I turned my back upon the sea
settled ashore reluctantly.
My love for you has anchored me.
You feared it understandably
but I still miss her terribly.
I watch the boats go out to sea
where in my heart I long to be.
I’ve done all that you asked of me
.Its only when we disagree
That I come here unhappily
to seek the solace of the sea.
ivor or ivor.e hogg's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Solace For M lady Helen Unknown by ivor or ivor.e hogg )
Gerard Manley Hopkins
(28 July 1844 – 8 June 1889)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Thomas Bailey Aldrich
(November 11, 1836 – March 19, 1907)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
Poem of the Day
- I Live, Tanja Henderson
- This year, maryline vautravers
- Friends, maryline vautravers
- Cuba…..God's Betrayal……….Perhaps, James B. Earley
- Poetic-Spectator*, Tushar Ray
- True Love Never Dies, lou parks
- Untitled VII, Sierra Staten
- The unblamenesses allay wounds, Pijush Biswas
- I Move, So I Am, Tanja Henderson
- Life Dances, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan