the illusion is that you are simply
reading this poem.
the reality is that this is
more than a
this is a beggar's knife.
this is a tulip.
this is a soldier marching
this is you on your
this is Li Po laughing
this is not a god-damned
this is a horse asleep.
a butterfly in
this is the devil's
you are not reading this
on a page.
the page is reading
it's like a cobra. it's a hungry eagle circling the room.
this is not a poem. poems are dull,
they make you sleep.
these words force you
to a new
you have been blessed, you have been pushed into a
blinding area of
the elephant dreams
the curve of space
you can die now.
you can die now as
people were meant to
hearing the music,
being the music,
Charles Bukowski's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (splash by Charles Bukowski )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- Not a big deal, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Affinity with truth for all times, gajanan mishra
- Affinity with truth, gajanan mishra
- To the dodo, Hrishikesh Bharadwaj
- what are you for me, Lalit Kaira
- The elephant in the refrigerator, Diana Rosser
- Hilton at Milton,, lee fones
- In a time without time!, Adriana Istrefi
- In Praise of Nobility (Twenty-Five), Rubaba Mmahajia Rahma Sabtiu
- In Praise of Nobility (Twenty-Four), Rubaba Mmahajia Rahma Sabtiu