the illusion is that you are simply
reading this poem.
the reality is that this is
more than a
this is a beggar's knife.
this is a tulip.
this is a soldier marching
this is you on your
this is Li Po laughing
this is not a god-damned
this is a horse asleep.
a butterfly in
this is the devil's
you are not reading this
on a page.
the page is reading
it's like a cobra. it's a hungry eagle circling the room.
this is not a poem. poems are dull,
they make you sleep.
these words force you
to a new
you have been blessed, you have been pushed into a
blinding area of
the elephant dreams
the curve of space
you can die now.
you can die now as
people were meant to
hearing the music,
being the music,
Charles Bukowski's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (splash by Charles Bukowski )
Did you read them?
- viper kiss, aaron jimenez
- बहाना/ Bahaanaa, Aftab Alam
- a dream, jaquesha webb
- I Go Far to Fetch the Truth, with Hope, Aftab Alam
- One a.m., Susan Lacovara
- The War Against Lopping, douglas scotney
- YOU Are First Fiddle in Your Concert, AL.., Mr. Nobody Nothing
- ' गुरुगान यशगान ', Rahul Vyas
- Silence, Tshering Chekii
- 'तस्वीर', Rahul Vyas
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(17 June 1867 – 2 September 1922)