She was poised there like a princess
Whose heart could still be won,
A pretty precious lioness
Was basking in the sun...
Her sunlit beauty there on show,
For one and all to see,
Amid a wondrous golden glow
Of pure serenity...
This was her chance, her finest hour,
Her moment fixed in time,
When she exuded sensual power,
Alluring and sublime...
Mature in ways that Nature knew,
Content to wait a while...
She sensed this was the thing to do,
To help raise her profile...
The midday heat would help her cause!
The bristling breeze sailed by...
And so she lay with laid-back claws,
Born free and feeling spry...
This day she'd find her lion king,
With romance on his mind!
And we know what romance can bring
For those who are inclined...
Denis Martindale, copyright, April 2011.
The poem is based on the magnificent painting
by Stephen Gayford called 'Sunlit Beauty'.
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sunlit Beauty by Denis Martindale )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Smaller Contemporary Indian English Poet.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- मेथाइ(से), Ronjoy Brahma
- It Was First Kiss; Kissing You For The F.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Only, laxami Cards
- आय' दैज्लां, Ronjoy Brahma
- Was Lawrence A Sadhu? The Sadhu of Love, Bijay Kant Dubey
- A sad sot..., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Do You Think? (Are You Only Gifted & Tal.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Bereaved, Susmit Panda
- True love, Einar Johan Wetaas