Thank You Pete
Pete Seger died yesterday. He was 94 years old
He’s famous for his songs and the stories that they told.
He was a folk singer and activist whose passion never ceased
As he wrote and sang songs about love...nonviolence...and peace.
If I Had a Hammer, and Where Have All the Flowers Gone he would croon
And as a young man growing up in the 70’s I liked the message in his tunes.
His death yesterday came in a world still filled with war and violence and hate
Not the world, I’m sure, he was hoping to create.
It seems there are many people out there who still need to fight, abhor and kill
Perhaps they did not hear his message...perhaps they never will.
But I believe as Pete did, that there are many, many more
Who strive each day to make this world a little better than the day before.
Who instead of making enemies believe in making friends
Who believe that love and kindness will win out in the end.
So thank you Pete for the words and music you so masterfully combined
And may the whole world practice living the legacy you left behind.
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Thank You Pete by Jim Yerman )
- You are my sweet lovely heart, Mazid S Kazi , INDIA
- I am the time, Aftab Alam
- The one who is blessed by the God is su.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Angel, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Malaria, hasmukh amathalal
- The life we have lived, Goodenough Sakhile Dlamini
- At our will, hasmukh amathalal
- See the fishes, hasmukh amathalal
- Two Become One, Loide V Augustinus
- Your Sweetness, Loide V Augustinus