Thank You Pete
Pete Seger died yesterday. He was 94 years old
He’s famous for his songs and the stories that they told.
He was a folk singer and activist whose passion never ceased
As he wrote and sang songs about love...nonviolence...and peace.
If I Had a Hammer, and Where Have All the Flowers Gone he would croon
And as a young man growing up in the 70’s I liked the message in his tunes.
His death yesterday came in a world still filled with war and violence and hate
Not the world, I’m sure, he was hoping to create.
It seems there are many people out there who still need to fight, abhor and kill
Perhaps they did not hear his message...perhaps they never will.
But I believe as Pete did, that there are many, many more
Who strive each day to make this world a little better than the day before.
Who instead of making enemies believe in making friends
Who believe that love and kindness will win out in the end.
So thank you Pete for the words and music you so masterfully combined
And may the whole world practice living the legacy you left behind.
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Thank You Pete by Jim Yerman )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
RoseAnn V. Shawiak
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Don't Go Far Off, Pablo Neruda
- Three Wise Men, Bill Simmons
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Drink, Smoke, Pray & Pop Pills., Tom Zart
- His Birthday, Neela Nath
- Last Night, Swrji Basumatary
- A proposal to wake up, none .....
- Dreams are All That Remain, Rohit Sapra
- Flowers By The Roadside, Maurice Rowlands
- You are born to be a poet, ramesh rai
- Beautiful flower, gajanan mishra
- A Fool, crystal ruth
- The Game, douglas scotney