The Big C
You were not invited, yet you surreptitiously walked in during the morning hours, the shower in the background and Madonna dancing and singing, while I cupped my hands and....screamed! You were there, and for months you had accompanied me, wearing such clever disguises that no one recognized you, though I had had a suspicion.
You were there, hiding, minute by minute, growing in confidence for the moment you would strike the final blow. You were there even as I delayed reporting you to yet, still another investigator. Would that he had been able to reveal your identity and to punish you, yes, even kill you, you who are now trying to end my life!
You have perpetuated your abuse on me, devouring and rendering me into someone I do not recognize. l look into the mirror and I am broken, but still I feel you, growing stronger as I grow weaker... I am tear soaked, chilled, and stone cold as I think of you lying warm within, you, growing in your comfort, becoming one with me.
You! Listen! Die! Die! Oh, How I wish you would die! And, though I did not choose to drink of your essence, nevertheless, you empty your awesome power into me. I can no longer fight. I am drained of all energy. As Madonna sings and dances into the background, I wonder if anyone will hear me crying?
Jackie Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Big C by Jackie Allen )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
Poem of the Day
- Marching On, Edward Kofi Louis
- Rum, crumbs!, Edward Kofi Louis
- To Point It Out To You, Edward Kofi Louis
- elephant selfie, lee fones
- You Are Very Beautiful II, Edward Kofi Louis
- Winter and Christmas, Rimni chakravarty
- - Μουγγό σκυλί (Greek poem), Giorgio A. V.
- Say You Are One of Them, Aysha Ananse
- Astonished, Edward Kofi Louis
- I Love It So, Edward Kofi Louis