Daniel Partlow (1969 / St. Louis, MO > Westport, CT)
The Deadly Speckled Birches (Smoking/Cigarettes)
Vika and I walked in a thick forest of birches white and spotted.
And many boulders of white lime with black lichens dotted.
A thick fog rolled slowly toward like a pudding, creamy and clotted.
Something moved behind a fallen speckled log that fog and time have rotted.
A wild pack of Dalmatians ahead of the fog then trotted.
Stalking us through the birches, what evil had these dogs plotted.
We retreated down a hill toward our cabin – our stomachs were knotted.
I grabbed a fallen branch and at the nearest one I swatted
But we can’t shake the pack – was this all the time the Lord allotted?
Now, the leader jumps upon a rock and there he perches.
And I remember the lesson we had been taught at our churches.
God will grant strength and deliverance to he who asks and searches.
And so I ask “God please deliver us from this deadly glade, this pack of birches.”
And the leader howled the order and we ran for the cabin porches.
Charcoal from a smoldering campfire my white shoe besmirches.
And the fog tried to envelop us as we ran in sprints and lurches.
And I wake from my nightmare and all my soul researches.
What warning could this be - the deadly glade of pack, fog, rock, and birches?
I walk outside and light a smoke – and understand what I dreamed
The vicious foggy white and spotted birches are realer than they seemed.
Oh God, grant us the power over addiction, that we may be redeemed.
Note: It has been about a year and half since I had this dream, and I was able to quit shortly thereafter.
Poet Other Poems
- A Chanuka and Christmas Carol
- A Christ-Chrysalis
- A Day is A Thousand Years
- A Fatal Spore for the Fecund Lady (Abort...
- A Few Verses From Some of My Posted Poem...
- A Four Year Old Witnesses...
- A Poet & His Wife (Mr. Nouveau Art and M...
- A Prayer for Laura
- A Question for Caiaphas Pickler (Damian ...
- A Reminder from Abraham Lincoln
- A Scriptural Valentine (The Mildly Eroti...
- A Sinner and Doubter's Prayer
- All Attacks of Darkness Are Dispelled By...
- Amen Bishop Michael Nazir-Ali
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.