You think you can outshine me; I sure as hell won’t give you that chance. You think I’ll let you out write me, let’s get this started and dance. I’ll bring you what I’ve got so be willing to raise the bar. I’m not a star yet, but I’m hoping I’m not too far.
This isn’t a threat it’s just a challenge you see? And I bet it ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. Don’t question what I’ve got and tell me “it’s not enough”. You better put on that seatbelt because it’s about to get rough. If I can do anything right, it’s what I’m doing now. You better watch your back, cuz I’ll be great somehow.
Bring down the lights pump up your speakers. I’m ready to wreak this place. You can’t tell me I’m not good enough. Double check the look on my face. You’re not allowed to question who I am and what this is, you’re not allowed to tell me how I’m “supposed to live”. I refuse to let you pull me apart.
Don’t you see I’m who I want to be? Don’t you see I’m at least good enough for me? I’m not him, I can’t be… I’ve got my own way, my own themes, so don’t tell me “it’s not enough” otherwise you’ll start a war and it’s about to get rough.
Alyssa Lynn's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Duel by Alyssa Lynn )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- I'll Never Forget, Michael P. McParland
- stealing my hostess' twinkie then givin'.., Bull Hawking
- DERBY AT THE GYM, RIC S. BASTASA
- and then the body aches., RIC S. BASTASA
- to each his own..., RIC S. BASTASA
- somehow, you keep thinking, has God forg.., RIC S. BASTASA
- two frogs jumping each other @ sueinlove.., Bull Hawking
- Come fly to me my Muse of love divine, Erato
- Who Takes The Next Step?, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Stick Around, Leah Ayliffe