The Flower Tots
There's a mill under the leaves, beside that dew,
Where the flower tots, labour in mirth,
And their unknown carriers, stand in the queue,
Waiting for the buds to take birth.
And give the tots a pound or two in place,
Then carry the juvenile where they belong,
And the mill manufactures more, in pace,
Or else the clock would have to wait too long.
The angels are too busy to make the petals,
So it's the flower tots who had to do it all,
But the angels' nous are made of metal,
It takes longer to construct the tots, all well and tall.
Behold! The tots working with their rooster-heads,
Each tying a stocking, with leaf-like folded paper,
A gibberish chant, their mouth sheds,
The wheel turns, and the actions performed by folk aper.
Lo! The dead seems to become alive,
And the buds a cynosure, all present!
How pleasant it is, to see the flowers dancing on the jive,
And the flowers tots labour till crescent.
Dear me! They almost caught a sight,
For it is a well kept ineffable matter,
It gave me the biggest of fright,
Seeing the complications backstage, all stirred in a batter.
You mustn't move your tongue to a soul,
About the secret I recently told you,
The flower tots will get wind of your words, through their porthole,
And you'll be in a lamentable condition, which could be went through by a few.
Devanshi Khetarpal's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Flower Tots by Devanshi Khetarpal )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Federico García Lorca
(5 June 1898 – 19 August 1936)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- We Will Make it., Tony Adah
- Temptation, Phil Soar
- Are you?, Chris Burrow
- El Viento's Revenge, Nika McGuin
- A Winter Walk, Phil Soar
- The Heart Foretells, Patti Masterman
- Louisiana Weather (Short), Nika McGuin
- Darling Dare, katusiime jeresi
- That And This, Indira Renganathan
- Florette's Woods, Nika McGuin