He bet five hundred for a win the horse beat by a head
But it did not seem to bother him 'no luck this one he said'
He backed the favourite in the race at odds of five to ten
And he has a tip for the next race he feels this horse will win.
I bet because I like to bet he has been known to say
And if you can't accept your losses why gamble anyway?
If he has had a losing day Tim Ryan feels no remorse
It doesn't seem to bother him to have backed the beaten horse.
Since he left West Cork years ago he's placed many big bet
And his advice 'dry tracker seldom go well in the wet
And horses who are good first up at their first up you back
And every horse that ever raced have their own favourite track'.
I always thought gamblers go broke as many of them do
But Tim Ryan the biggest that I know has proved my thoughts untrue
He's been big gambler all these years but still he is not broke
And if the horse he bet on lose about it he can joke.
The only big gambler that I know has gambled big for years
And if the horse he bet on lose in him no sign of tears
Many big gamblers end their lives when with their losses they can't cope
But Tim Ryan bigger man than that he has great faith in hope.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Gambler by Francis Duggan )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Did you read them?
- My mother is still living with me, gajanan mishra
- Schooldays, michael walker
- There's no prescription to your doom, Mark Heathcote
- समनि नायथाय- 03, Ronjoy Brahma
- Stretched To Depths, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Mutilated Is A Liberation, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Days Until Hell., Always Dream
- βέƦẙḽ Dṏṽ's Jumpstarting Creativity: Les.., Beryl Dov
- समनि नायथाय- 02, Ronjoy Brahma
- HUSTLING 10 WORD, Beryl Dov