The Golden Rule
As I watch many world religions fight, acting inhumane and cruel
It makes me ask the question, what’s happened to the Golden Rule?
Countries at war with one another, soldiers dying, a world of dread
Again I ask, has the Golden Rule been buried with the dead?
People going hungry every day, so many in the world oppressed
Is it possible the Golden Rule has been forgotten or suppressed?
We read of people murdering one another, even children, and we’re stunned
And I ask as we wipe our tears, has the Golden Rule been shunned?
Yes, so many sorrowful stories we hear each day...we hope they can’t be true,
And we ask, have we forgotten Do unto others as you would have them do unto you?
As I see people hating people just because of how they look or who they are
I think to myself...Do unto others hasn’t really evolved very far.
In a world where we are so connected we should look within our hearts
And find the reason why, when we’re so close, we still so far apart.
I believe the answer is a simple one and will come as no surprise
For it’s been around since the dawn of man sitting right before our eyes.
If you look at most of the world’s religions, (I remember learning this in school)
A basic lesson in all of them is some form of The Golden Rule.
Ah, but it’s not enough for the religions of the world, the Golden Rule to teach
Another thing I Iearned in school...we must practice what we preach.
We can point fingers as to the cause but we all shoulder part of the blame
For it’s up to each of us to follow the rule and treat everyone the same.
Is it possible the answer is so simple or am I once again the fool?
For thinking the world would be a better place if we all practiced the Golden Rule.
If it worked, if starting today we all practiced The Golden Rule
And the world became a better place...then I would gladly play the fool.
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Golden Rule by Jim Yerman )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(03 April 1964)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(22 March 1941 -)
(18 November 1939)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Happy Birthday stranger, ice johnson
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Taking Off Emily Dickinson's Clothes, Billy Collins
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Autumn, Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin
Poem of the Day
- Woman And Time..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Firmament, Margaret Ann Newcomb
- Petits morceaux, Lubinda Lubinda
- For Edgar Allan Poe With All Gratitude..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- It Takes Tears to..., Rodney R. Cooper
- It Takes Tears, Rodney R. Cooper
- My life, Mario,Lucien,Rene Odekerken
- Don't leave me cozied-up homely, Mark Heathcote
- If You Were Here Today, Serena Blackinton
- Uncle Trevor's Solution, rohan bendre