He does not think that I haunt here nightly:
How shall I let him know
That whither his fancy sets him wandering
I, too, alertly go? -
Hover and hover a few feet from him
Just as I used to do,
But cannot answer his words addressed me -
Only listen thereto!
When I could answer he did not say them:
When I could let him know
How I would like to join in his journeys
Seldom he wished to go.
Now that he goes and wants me with him
More than he used to do,
Never he sees my faithful phantom
Though he speaks thereto.
Yes, I accompany him to places
Only dreamers know,
Where the shy hares show their faces,
Where the night rooks go;
Into old aisles where the past is all to him,
Close as his shade can do,
Always lacking the power to call to him,
Near as I reach thereto!
What a good haunter I am, O tell him,
Quickly make him know
If he but sigh since my loss befell him
Straight to his side I go.
And if it be that at night I am stronger,
Go, too, by day I do:
Please, then, keep him in gloom no longer,
Even ghosts tend thereto!
Thomas Hardy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Haunter by Thomas Hardy )
Did you read them?
- Go boothward young doves, moez meftah
- To Someone Special On Poemhunter, Electric Lady
- Thank You: from a dear friend, Almedia Knight Oliver
- Memories, anthony john cerrito, sr.
- The Sea, Somasekar Sivaprakash
- Gods Revenge, Tango Tango
- 'Valerie', Katherine Nordhaus
- 'Charlie Girl', Katherine Nordhaus
- Madrigal Dedicated To An Angel., Marcondes Pereira
- Halloween, lee fones
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Fern Hill, Dylan Thomas
- Ithaca, Constantine P. Cavafy
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)