The Juggler's Song
When the drums begin to beat
Down the street,
When the poles are fetched and guyed,
When the tight-rope's stretched and tied,
When the dance-girls make salaam,
When the snake-bag wakes alarm,
When the pipes set up their drone,
When the sharp-edged knives are thrown
When the red-hot coals are shown,
To be swallowed by-and-by--
Arre, Brethren, here come I!
Stripped to loin-cloth in the sun,
Search me well and watch me close!
Tell me how my tricks are done--
Tell me how the mango grows!
Give a man who is not made
To his trade
Swords to fling and catch again,
Coins to ring and snatch again,
Men to harm and cure again,
Snakes to charm and lure again--
He'll be hurt by his own blade,
By his serpents disobeyed,
By his clumsiness bewrayed,
By the people laughed to scorn--
So 'tis not with juggler born!
Pinch of dust or withered flower,
Chance-flung nut or borrowed staff,
Serve his need and shore his power,
Bind the spell or loose the laugh!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Juggler's Song by Rudyard Kipling )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- There is Always Just RIGHT NOW! ...and t.., Monk E. Biz
- Anything for Love (Secret Message), Ronald Chapman
- Angels At Play, Ronald Chapman
- Amazing Day, Ronald Chapman
- Mr & Mrs toad 30 sec ditty, lee fones
- A bold voice sings..., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- 시 벚꽃, Ronald Chapman
- rattled 'n saddled, Mandolyn ...
- Cherry Blossom Time (Korea Regional), Ronald Chapman
- Sounds of Silence, Anita Sehgal