On the day when the lotus bloomed, alas, my mind was straying,
and I knew it not. My basket was empty and the flower remained unheeded.
Only now and again a sadness fell upon me, and I started up from my
dream and felt a sweet trace of a strange fragrance in the south wind.
That vague sweetness made my heart ache with longing and it seemed to
me that is was the eager breath of the summer seeking for its completion.
I knew not then that it was so near, that it was mine, and that this
perfect sweetness had blossomed in the depth of my own heart.
Rabindranath Tagore's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Lotus by Rabindranath Tagore )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- Decisions Decisions, Ronald Chapman
- Jane Kha Kha Tu Bas Gya…………………………, sonali kumari
- The Last Lie, Bruce Weigl
- December (Acrostic Poetry), Ronald Chapman
- Prophecy in Action, Terrance Tracy
- Worshiping Apollo, Daniel Brick
- Bahaki-Bahaki Bate…………………….., sonali kumari
- May, Bruce Weigl
- Har Pal Bas Tum Hi Ho………………, sonali kumari
- Desire, IBRAHIM YEKU