Nikolay Alekseyevich Nekrasov
The Love Letter
Letter of love so strangely thrilling
With all your countless wonder yet,
Though Time our heart's hot fires have mastered,
Bringing a pang of pained regret!
The while your blest receiver holds you,
His banished passions still rebel,
No longer reason sacrifices
His sentiment,--so then farewell!
Destroyed be this love-token treasured!
For if 'tis read when time has flown,
Deep in the buried soul 'twill waken
The torment vanished days have known.
At first but a light scorn arousing
For silly childishness,--at last
With fiery yearning overwhelming,
And jealousy for all the past.
O Thou, from whom a myriad letters
Speak with the breath of love to me,
Though my gaze rest on thee austerely,
Yet, yet,--I cannot part with thee!
Time has revealed with bitter clearness
How little thou with truth wert blessed,
How like a child my own behaviour--
Yet, dear to me I still must save
This flower scentless, without colour,
From off my manhood's early grave!
Nikolay Alekseyevich Nekrasov's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Love Letter by Nikolay Alekseyevich Nekrasov )
- 'Did I ever Exist? ', Ananta Madhavan
- Keep safe, hasmukh amathalal
- Sunshine, Hanh Chau
- The Power Of Prayer, Tom Zart
- Mini Pool Tournament, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Tonight And Every Night, Michael McParland
- Ongoing Mental De-Evolution, michael walkerjohn
- Crossroads Of Destiny, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Spaces Of Intellect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I Know Why Old People Are Sometimes Very.., Shalom Freedman
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Alone, Maya Angelou
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(1 February 1927)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)