The Magician Who Predicted the Future
The show was held in a side-street pub
On a Saturday evening, ‘of great importance',
And the place was filled with curious people
Who purchased their tickets in advance.
The famous magician appeared on the stage
Dressed in a butterfly-bowed red coat
Black trousers and shoes. He wore a black
Chimney pot hat, and sharpened his throat.
A small orchestra, consisting of a piano,
A violin, a drum and a trumpet, played a part
Of the steely rhythms, the rattling bangs of
Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue; for the start.
And then the conjurer began to perform
His antics, which included card tricks
And pulling out a live rabbit from his black
Chimney- pot hat, with two walking sticks.
And when he announced the next act,
The difficult task of augury, foretelling life,
The future; tension in the crowded hall grew
So dense that you could cut it with a knife.
There was complete silence in the hall.
And then, climbing to the climax of the day,
The magician declared victoriously, saying
In a stentorian voice: "Tomorrow is Sunday."
Paul Hartal's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Magician Who Predicted the Future by Paul Hartal )
- You need someone, hasmukh amathalal
- Organized team, hasmukh amathalal
- I Am Weird and I Am Happy, Rohit Sapra
- Beloved Alice (Square Sonnet I), Rohan Nath
- Meeting Room 13, Edward Kofi Louis
- Think and act, hasmukh amathalal
- Drought, Edward Kofi Louis
- And here we part, Nalini Chaturvedi
- VARIETIES OF FOODS انواع من الاطعمة, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Follow The Light, Edward Kofi Louis