George Pope Morris
The Main-Truck; Or, A Leap For Life
Old Ironsides at anchor lay,
In the harbor of Mahon;
A dead calm rested on the bay--
The waves to sleep had gone;
When little Jack, the captain's son,
With gallant hardihood,
Climbed shroud and spar--and then upon
The main-truck rose and stood!
A shudder ran through every vein--
All eyes were turned on high!
There stood the boy, with dizzy brain,
Between the sea and sky!
No hold had he above--below,
Alone he stood in air!
At that far height none dared to go--
No aid could reach him there.
We gazed--but not a man could speak!--
With horror all aghast
In groups, with pallid brow and cheek,
We watched the quivering mast.
The atmosphere grew thick and hot,
And of a lurid hue,
As, riveted unto the spot,
Stood officers and crew.
The father came on deck--He gasped,
'O, God, Thy will be done!'
Then suddenly a rifle grasped,
And aimed it at his son!
'Jump far out, boy! into the wave!
Jump, or I fire!' he said:
'That only chance your life can save!
Jump--jump, boy!'--He obeyed.
He sank--he rose--he lived--he moved--
He for the ship struck out!
On board we hailed the lad beloved
With many a manly shout.
His father drew, in silent joy,
Those wet arms round his neck,
Then folded to his heart the boy
And fainted on the deck!
George Pope Morris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Main-Truck; Or, A Leap For Life by George Pope Morris )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- God, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Apatnaput-apat (44), herbert guitang
- Schoon Poepske, Madrason writer
- Your Heart To Mine, Michael P. McParland
- Motivation, Kim Lee
- A life without pain, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- BLUE, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- Mental Torment, Kim Lee
- Волшебная прогулка по лесу., Alexander Smetanin
- To Be A Man Is Most Important, Bijay Kant Dubey