Aline Murray Kilmer
The Night Cometh
MY garden walks were smooth and green
And edged with box trees left and right,
An old grey sun-dial stood between
Two rounded bee hives, low and white.
My hollyhocks grew tall and red,
My larkspur thrust its lances high:
'The Night Cometh,' the sun-dial said,
And I hated its wisdom and hurried by.
I watch the sun-dial as I wait
And hope to see its slow hand fly.
The stately poplars at the gate
Are funeral torches flaring high.
The scent of wallflowers breaks my heart,
The box is bitter in the sun,
The poppies burst their sheathes apart
And tell of rest when pain is done.
The hawthorn shakes a ghostly head
And breathes of death at fullest noon.
'The Night Cometh,' the sun-dial said–
The night can never come too soon.
O sun-dial, hurry your creeping hand,
Let the shadows fall where the brown bees hum,
I watch and wait where the low hives stand,
Let the night come, let the night come!
Aline Murray Kilmer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Night Cometh by Aline Murray Kilmer )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- 'Hope' is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Stray Reflection, Sunny Chopra
- Tagore Song (#13) When He comes to beg me, Tushar Ray
- Selfish, Naomi Mith
- Tagorer Song (#12) My Invisible Flute, Tushar Ray
- Tagore Song (#11) Who is this piano pla.., Tushar Ray
- THOUGHT-LIFE (Quatrains), Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Music, Life's Soundtrack (Quatrains), Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Love Note 16, Michael P. McParland
- Change, David Lessard
- ENVY DEFINED, Cynthia BuhainBaello