The Old Oak
I’ve stood in this park,
In sunshine and dark,
For two hundred years,
But now I’m in tears,
For they’re cutting me down
And toppling my crown.
I’ve seen young lovers kiss:
Shared their moment of bliss.
I’ve seen young children grow;
Families come and they go.
I’ve seen families munch
On a nice picnic lunch.
I’ve served as a hiding place,
And seen young children race.
My shady shadow has been sought:
Relief from the sun, I have brought.
I’ve changed my coat many a time.
Heard the church bells gaily chime.
Carved on my bark are initials and hearts:
These will go with me, when I depart.
Through the years, I’ve seen it all:
So many memories, I can recall.
My dying day, I am so dreading:
Me, the workmen will soon be shredding.
The teeth of the saw will bite my bark
Like the jagged teeth of a killer shark.
I don’t want to die:
I just want to cry.
But the world will go on
Long after I’ve gone.
For two centuries, I’ve stood:
I would stay, if I could.
But it seems my fate has been sealed,
And, very soon, I’m to be killed.
Deep in my throat, I get a large lump,
Knowing that soon, I’ll be a mere stump.
Angela Wybrow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Old Oak by Angela Wybrow )
- Lisbon, Frank Avon
- Underground, Mark Webster
- Ophelia to Hamlet, David McLansky
- That All Our Beauty's Are The Same, Mark R. Elias
- Lust u me nu meneer, Madrason writer
- Depression, Alesia Leach
- Seashore Gratitude, Liilia Talts Morrison
- The Path Of The King, vince gullaci
- The Present, bryan wallace
- Vieze oren, Schone ogen, Madrason writer
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns